I’m on my 6th blog now and I realized that I haven’t introduced who I am. This thought occurred to me because I realized that it’s easier to relate to a blog if you know who’s writing it. My name is Melanie and I am the new project coordinator at Urban Geko. Instead of droning on with boring facts about myself I’ll just answer a quick survey by Ellen Stienberg I found in Communication Arts magazine:
1. If you have a degree in what field is it? BS in Design, BA in Communication & minor in English.
2. If you could choose one person to work with (outside your own agency), who would it be? Ellen Lupton, she’s a typography genius.
3. If you were to change professions, what would you choose to do? I’d be an astronomer, I’ve always found the vastness of the universe fascinating and beautiful. Plus, I’d get to point out the big dipper every night.
4. What do you consider to be the greatest headline of all time? “We Did It” – Barack Obama’s presidential victory.
5. From where do your best ideas originate? My friends, nature, pop culture & of course the internet.
6. How do you overcome a creative block? I almost never get those- I just keep working until I stumble upon something great. Or I put what I’m trying to create into simpler ideas and go from there. Or I just ask for help.
7. If you could choose any product to create an ad for, what would it be? A perfume bottle. The flexibility of the product itself allows for great design that can’t be applied to most other products.
8. Do you have creative outlets other than design? Why, yes I do! I love to read- I’m currently reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. (You should too).
9. What’s your approach to balancing work and life? Most of my life I’ve been a workaholic. I’ve been working on that quite a bit and having just one job helps a ton. I’ve found the most effective method is usually just planning ahead of time and designating time for work and play.
10. What product/gadget can you not live without? My Macbook of course.
11. What’s your favorite quote? “The voyage of discovery consists not of seeking new landscapes, but of having new eyes.” – Marcel Proust.
12. Do you have any advice for people just entering the profession? If you’re looking for a job, make sure you know what your greatest talents are and market them the best you can.
13. What’s one thing you wish you knew when you started your career? I’ll let you know in a couple years!
Besides this little survey, I feel like my blogging style will give you more insight to my personality. So keep reading!